Domestic Partnerships

Questions about Domestic Partnerships

If you have questions regarding Domestic Partnerships that are not answered on this page, please download and read our Domestic Partnerships Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ). Otherwise, contact the County Clerk's Office.

Where to Apply

Wood County Clerk's Office, Room 101, Wood County Courthouse (Map) .

When to Apply

Monday through Friday 8:00am - 4:00pm

Both parties must apply in person. The Certificate will be issued 5 days after the date of application.

If the couple is unable to apply within the required time due to extenuating circumstances, the County Clerk may waive the waiting period. A form requesting that the waiting period be waived must be completed and an additional fee of $10 will be charged.


License fee in Wood County is $75.00 (cash or check) payable at the time of application.

Age Requirement

Any person who has attained the age of 18 and is competent to enter into a legal contract may apply for a Declaration of Domestic Partnership.

Residency Requirement

Application must be made in the county in which one or both parties have resided for at least 30 days. The applicants must intend to share a common residence.

Application Requirements

  • Documentary proof of birth and residence.
    • Certified copy of birth certificate. Both parties are required to present a certified copy of their birth certificate which has a raised seal on it from the State or County where you were born. (Hospital Birth Certificates and State Notification of Birth Registrations are not acceptable). If born outside of the U.S. we will accept a Resident Alien card or passport.
    • Driver's License or Wisconsin ID with your current address. (If your address is not current on your driver's license, please bring other proof of residence).
    • Social Security Number.
  • Proof of how last Domestic Partnership or Marriage ended. If either applicant has been in a prior legal domestic partnership or was previously married, they must provide a copy of the appropriate termination document. If a prior legal domestic partnership was terminated, the termination must have been filed with the Register of Deeds office at least 90 days prior to the new application.

Foreign Languages

Documents in another language must have a certified translation. Persons who do not speak and/or understand English must bring an independent interpreter not related to either party when applying.

Department Menu